You are viewing content from Gaydio Manchester. Would you like to make this your preferred location?

Double murderer Simon Levy denies attack on prison officer

Monday, 17 August 2026 13:16

By Henry Vaughan, home affairs reporter

Double murderer Simon Levy has denied stabbing a Belmarsh prison officer with a pen before trying to strangle him.

The 41-year-old was handed a rare whole-life sentence last week for killing grandmother Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, in March last year and mother-of-four Sheryl Wilkins, 39, five months later in August 2025.

He was also sentenced for the rape of a third victim, who was left for dead near his home in Tottenham, north London, in January last year.

Levy attacked all three women, who were vulnerable sex workers, while he was on bail.

He appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court by video-link from Belmarsh prison, wearing sunglasses and a grey T-shirt.

He spoke to confirm his name and date of birth before entering not guilty pleas to charges of assault by actual bodily harm and intentional strangulation of a prison officer, named as Paul Dunne in charges.

The court heard, in a meeting on 18 February this year, Levy allegedly stabbed the officer multiple times in the arm and neck with a pen, while he was being held on remand at the maximum-security prison in south-east London awaiting trial.

Prosecutor David Burns said Levy is accused of then forcing the officer to the floor before putting his hands around his throat as Mr Dunne felt his grip tighten.

Jason Lartey, defending, said Levy accepts being there but denies assaulting the officer, who he will claim restrained him.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram sent the case to Inner London Crown Court, where Levy will next appear on 14 September.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Double murderer Simon Levy denies attack on prison officer

More from HEADLINES

More from Gaydio

-->